Saturday, August 13, 2016

Cubies are a Great Snack Loaded with Healthy Fats!

I'm a huge fan of healthy snacks that help to fuel the body when you need a quick pick me up. There are a lot of paleo products on the market now that can fill this need. However, when you look at the ingredients there tends to be natural sweeteners used to enhance the taste. Since I do not eat sweeteners (no fruit, no honey, no maple syrup, etc.) I opt to make my own.
There are a lot of recipes online today. Just Google "paleo balls". If you're like me you can leave out the sweeteners.
I came with my own recipe that is tasty and satiating. If I had friends try it and they definitely enjoy the creaminess and taste. These are best when they come out of the freezer since they can get messy when they soften. I enjoy them out of the freezer or the refrigerator.

Recipe:

INGREDIENTS

1/4 cup Ghee or Organic Butter
1/4 Coconut Oil
1/2 cup no salt or salt/roasted cashews or raw cashews soaked in water for 6 hours
1/2 cup raw macadamia nuts
1/4 to 1/2 cup chia seeds
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Mix everything in a bowl. Then put mixed ingredients in a blender or food processor.
Blend until mixture is thick and gooey, not watery. If it's watery add more nuts, vanilla and/or cinnamon
Then take a spoonful and scoop into ice cube tray to create "cubies".  Rubber ice trays work best.
Fill up each ice cube slot with mixture.
Then place in the freezer for a couple of hours to freeze.
You can leave them in the ice tray and pop one out when you're ready to eat or you can pull out all cubies and place in a bag or tupperware and put back into the freezer.
It's best to keep them in the freezer so they don't melt.
You can also keep them in the refrigerator in the ice tray to allow them to soften (really good soft!)

You could use a pan and cut out squares as well.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment